Monday, October 5, 2015

GBNP

Got a late start on Thursday. Made it to Tahoe before we stopped to stretch.
Fueled up in Fallon and then stopped at Grimes Point. Watched the Jets practicing in the inclement weather. I'd forgotten just how loud they are.
Unfortunately the rain made it impossible to make out the petroglyphs before we had to bail as the rain increased.
Interesting old telegraph site.

I don't recommend it but I managed to get a shot of a rainbow while driving :)

Luckily the rain stopped by the time we reached Austin. I opted to head on over to Big Creek CG since by this time I only had an hour of daylight left. It wasn't easy to find but I made it. Its about a fourteen site NF (free too) with not one but two standard outhouses and picnic tables at each site. Only two sites were taken and I took the end one. Huge space suitable for for a dozen rigs. I barely had my camp setup when the rain started.

The skies opened up and we dove inside the camper while the lightning flashed and the winds howled. Its only the second time I've been in wind severe enough to rock the camper. Then (cue ominous music) I see water coming in through the stitching around the window. Oh crap, I'd forgotten the two forward windows had the storm flaps rolled up. The lightning was close, about a count of two and I seriously considered the possibility I could get hit. Nevertheless I jumped out and quickly got the storm flaps down. About an hour later the storm settled down to a nice gentle rain. The the thought occurred to me. How'd Big Creek get its name? Its a pretty small creek. Not that the lightning hadn't freaked me out enough now I'm thinking about flash floods! During a lull in the rain I checked the creek. It had turned brown but no level rise. Besides, the guy with his tent right next to the creek would surely make some noise before it got as high as my camp 

Had coffee and hit the road. No dust raised on the road out now (btw, the highway had signage warning of blow dust just before Austin. On the other side of Austin is another campground right off the road, of course.

Lots of historical markers along Highway 50
Checked out Illipah on the way. Not a place I'd want to do more than overnight at.
Had breakfast at the Hotel in Ely. Fueled up and headed on to Great Basin NP. Along the way I followed to BLM fire engines They weren't code 3 but traveled fast even I (and I don't dawdle) didn't want to pass them. They continued on as I went into the Visitor center. Another couple in a newer FWC pulled up next to me. Sorry I don't remember their names. They were finishing up a two and half week trip and on the way back to bay area. They lurk on WTW, hopefully that'll change and we can get a trip report from them. 

Inside the visitor center were two signs (or was it one sign and a verbal?). The cave tours were full up for the day and there was a fire somewhere up by Wheeler peak and the road was closed at the Mather overlook. Scratch plans A and B. I went on up to the Lehman Caves center and managed to get the last spot on the last tour of the day on Saturday. Then on over to Baker campground where I pleasantly surprised to find it very reasonably priced.

Riley was very impressed with wildlife at the campround
Nice view before the rain began again
It was a close call on whether the rain would put out my campfire.
I'm hiding in the camper with the dog. I had a really nice steak dinner before retiring for the night. Then it got bizarre. Eleven O'Clock at night I feel my feet wet. Hey my sleeping bag is wet. I jump up and hit the lights and begin feeling around for leaks. The vinyl is damp but I can't find any other moisture. Then I check the sleeping bag. Its dry too. I'd just dreamed it. Well better a dream than having an actual leak.


After breakfast the plan is to see the lexington arch, drive up Snake Creek and see the Mather overlook before the cave tour. Turned out to be way too ambitious. Didn't realize I'd have to visit Utah.


No comments:

Post a Comment